Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Last Dragon by Jane Yolen: Comic Review
Posted by Tiffany at 2:15 PM
Title: The Last Dragon
Writer: Jane Yolen (site)
Artist: Rebecca Guay (site)
Published: August 31st, 2011  by Dark Horse
Pages: 144
Rating: 89%
Synopsis: Master storyteller Jane Yolen (Owl Moon, Sword of the Rightful King) and celebrated fantasy artist Rebecca Guay (Swamp Thing, Magic: The Gathering) weave a textured and lyrical tale of adventure, homelands, and heroism the hard way.Two hundred years ago, humans drove the dragons from the islands of May. Now, the last of the dragons rises to wreak havoc anew — with only a healer’s daughter and a kite-flying would-be hero standing in its way. (Goodreads)


Story Review:


Plot - 23/25 points This was very much in the style of classic fairy tales. I love Jane Yolen's writing, from her Dragon Pit series, which was a favorite of mine when I was growing up, to her kids books- which I love reading to my kids. Her style goes well with graphic novels, if a bit wordier than the usual comic. One thing that bothered me: she set if up with the history of the dragons, making me feel sorry for them, but then the dragon was the villain throughout the rest of the story. It seemed like a mixed message.

Voice - 18/25 points The only problem with classic fairy tales is that the voice is a bit detached, flat. I liked the story, but the characters didn't really pop. I didn't get a feel for who was telling the story, or for the characters it focused on.

Graphics Review:

Artwork - 24/25 points This book is so beautiful! I LOVE Rebecca Guay's artwork. I would love to own a few of her prints. The settings were very detailed and gorgeous, putting you right in the story. The style went very well with the story. It looked almost like a series of old stained glass windows, a bit like the beginning scenes in Beauty and the Beast. The only thing that bothered me was the way faces were drawn. They seemed a bit too alien. 

Coloring (or lack thereof) - 22/25 points The kind of washed-out colors made for a beautfiul, antique-feeling setting, but they also made the whole thing kind of run together. I would have liked a few more brilliant colors thrown in.


Bonus points:

This is a great graphic novel for kids, teens, or adults. I'm awarding 2 bonus points because it would make an amazing book for an early reader.

Total Score - 89 points out of 100 possible, or 89%