Tuesday, October 26, 2010

New Nook Color
Posted by Tiffany at 9:19 PM
(Picture is from the page linked below)

Today Barnes and Noble announced their new Nook, the Nook Color. Being the proud owner of a Nook myself, I was both excited and worried about this announcement. I got my Nook last Christmas and a year really isn't long enough to own something like that before you decide to trade it in. Unfortunately, I was right to worry. I'll be waiting to read some hands-on reviews before I decide for sure, but I really really want one! Here's a run-down on my favorite things about the Nook Color.

1. Giant color touch screen
2. More options for organizing and customizing your books
3. Only $249. Now, I know that's still a lot of money, but compared to an iPad it's pretty darn good.
4. The store now recommends books to you, something I've really wanted
5. You can share books, notes, and even favorite lines directly to facebook and twitter! Awesome feature!
6. Sudoku, Crossword Puzzles, and Pandora Radio!
7. A web browser that is (supposedly) fast and easy to use.
8. Full color magazine subscriptions
9. Interactive kids' books- I like the direction they're going in here.
10. They've released tools for anyone to develop Android apps for it.
11. Comes with 8G! Also, an SD slot! Basically, more room than you will EVER need for books.

Things I'm Not So Sure About
1. That keychain-hole/ cutout in the corner. Who needs a lanyard for an ebook reader?
2. Eight hour battery time isn't amazing. My old Nook runs for about a week before it needs to charge.
3. Even with the new ones, there's a shortage of cool Nook cases.

It looks like I'll be waiting to read a few reviews before I commit, but (barring a crappy battery life, hopelessly slow browser, or other fatal flaw) I'll probably be trading in my old Nook this Christmas. I may even do a giveaway for it, seeing as how all the readers in my life already have ebook readers.

What do you think of the new nook? Too much razzmatazz for an ereader? Best thing ever? Let me know! :)