Monday, March 7, 2011

Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld: Review
Posted by Tiffany at 12:20 PM

Title: Behemoth
Author: Scott Westerfeld (blog)
Published: September 25th, 2010 by Simon Pulse
Pages: 485
Price: $11.15 Amazon $13.42 Book Depository
Series: Leviathan #2
Source: Bought
Rating: 4/5
Synopsis: The behemoth is the fiercest creature in the British navy. It can swallow enemy battleships with one bite. The Darwinists will need it, now that they are at war with the Clanker powers.
Deryn is a girl posing as a boy in the British Air Service, and Alek is the heir to an empire posing as a commoner. Finally together aboard the airship Leviathan, they hope to bring the war to a halt. But when disaster strikes the Leviathan's peacekeeping mission, they find themselves alone and hunted in enemy territory.
Alek and Deryn will need great skill, new allies, and brave hearts to face what's ahead. (Goodreads)


Initial Thoughts: I bought this book because I loved the first book in this Steampunk trilogy, Leviathan.


Quick Review: This was another solid book by Scott Westerfeld. Alek and Deryn continue their adventures. There are some really amazing scenes set in Istanbul/Constantinople, where things get pretty crazy. I was, however, on the edge of my seat the entire book, just waiting for a certain secret to come out. Which it did-kind of, but not in the way I'd hoped. I'm enjoying the series, but I really feel that I'm a bit too old to love it. It would be great for MG, younger teens, and boys. It's definitely another book to pass on to the brother. You know what's funny about Scott Westerfeld? He has a series for every age. Leviathan for MG/younger teens, Uglies for YA, and Peeps for older YA/adults. He's a fantastic writer and I always enjoy his books. I wish he'd do an older series set in the Leviathan world, I LOVE all of the crazy steampunk stuff.