Friday, August 26, 2011

Beyond the Grave by Mara Purnhagen: Review
Posted by Tiffany at 7:21 PM

Title: Beyond the Grave
Author: Mara Purnhagen (site)
Published: August 30th, 2011 by Harlequin Teen
Pages: 256
Rating: 4/5
Source: NetGalley
Synopsis: Being Charlotte Silver, the daughter of famous paranormal investigators, means my life isn’t like that of other teenage girls. Especially after what happened to my parents. Things changed. I missed prom and deferred my big college plans. But I still have my boyfriend, Noah. He’s everything I could want—if I can figure out what’s up with him. Suddenly Noah is secretive.

I fear it has something to do with what happened to us three months ago. The bruise Noah suffered during a paranormal attack has never completely faded. Now I’ve learned Noah is researching demons. And when he disappears, it’s up to me to find him—before something else does. (Goodreads)



Review: The third book in Purnhagen's Past Midnight series is by far the best. There was a lot more going on here and none of it dull. If you've read my reviews of Past Midnight and One Hundred Candles, you'll know that I wasn't too very impressed. They were quick, fun books. However, there wasn't really anything memorable. This book, on the other hand, was intense. I stayed up all night (which was a mistake, so tired now) to finish it. After I finished it, I couldn't sleep. I kept thinking of a demon crawling through my window to murder me. Maybe part of it was the fact that I was reading it at night, but this book really creeped me out. Things don't get any easier for poor Charlotte. Her mother is still in a coma, she can't count on her dad for any support, and something very evil is coming after her. I was a bit annoyed that she made the same mistake as last time- Tell No One, See What Happens. And don't worry about things getting too domestic and dull with Noah- they are anything but! There are a few weak spots. The Climax is resolved a bit too suddenly and the sudden addition of the Protector felt a bit awkward at first, but I really enjoyed this book and I'm very grateful to the publisher for putting it on NetGalley. I don't know if I would have stuck with this series after reading the first two, but now I'm excited for the next installment.