Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Swoon by Nina Malkin: Review
Posted by Tiffany at 3:32 PM

Title: Swoon
Author: Nina Malkin (site)
Published: May 19th, 2009 by Simon Pulse 
Pages: 425
Price: $9.49 Book Depository $9.99 Amazon 

Series: Swoon #1
Source: Bought
Rating: NR
Synopsis: Torn from her native New York City and dumped in the land of cookie-cutter preps, Candice is resigned to accept her posh, dull fate. Nothing ever happens in Swoon, Connecticut...until Dice's perfect, privileged cousin Penelope nearly dies in a fall from an old tree, and her spirit intertwines with that of a ghost. His name? Sinclair Youngblood Powers. His mission? Revenge. And while Pen is oblivious to the possession, Dice is all too aware of Sin. She's intensely drawn to him -- but not at all crazy about the havoc he's wreaking. Determined to exorcise the demon, Dice accidentally sets Sin loose, gives him flesh, makes him formidable. Now she must destroy an even more potent -- and irresistible -- adversary, before the whole town succumbs to Sin's will. Only trouble is, she's in love with him.
What do you do when the boy of your dreams is too be true? (Goodreads)


Initial Thoughts: I bought this because it was $3.99 in Barned and Noble's after Xmas sale. I remembered having seen a few reviews for it, but I didn't remember if they'd been good or bad. The cover is also gorgeous!


Review: First, a warning: there is lots of sex: BJ, gay, statutory, murderous, invisible, it's insane. I suppose that it's not an unrealistic amount, it just feels like a lot for YA book. I've put off reviewing Swoon because I'm having  a very hard time deciding what I think about it. I can't decide if I loved it or hated it. The story is very interesting. Her cousin falls from a tree and wakes up possessed by a very charismatic and very bitter ghost. From then on, the plot twists all over the place. There were several places in the book that felt like the end of one story and the beginning of another. I didn't understand Dice's love for Sin, he didn't seem like a sympathetic character at all to me. Maybe it was his charisma/power? He abuses everyone around her and she just gets mildly annoyed about it- and that only because she's jealous. It's insane. The main character is moved out to the country by her parents after an Incident in the big city, but then they decide to live in the city most of the time, leaving this teen to raise herself. Either this is very selfish and unbelievable or I've led a very sheltered life. Is that legal?! When we found out just what Sin had become, I was excited- it opened up a lot of doors, I thought she would get more control, but then it just seemed to dead-end. In spite of all of the the things that bothered me, this book was a hell of a lot of fun. When it ended, I just sat there for a few minutes, trying to decide what had just happened. Did I love it? Hate it? Want to know more? Want to throw it across the room? I'm still not sure. All I know is that it was a wild ride.


Quick Review: Swoon was a very crazy book with a plot that was all over the place and tons of sex. I'm still not sure what I though of it, but it was definitely and Experience. Pick it up and decide for yourself.