Saturday, October 30, 2010

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White: Review
Posted by Tiffany at 9:00 AM

Title: Paranormalcy
Author: Kiersten White (site)
Published: August 31st, 2010 by HarperTeen
Pages: 352
Price: $9.93 Amazon $11.49 Book Depository
Series: Paranormalcy #1
Rating: 5/5
Synopsis: Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal. 

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures. 

So much for normal. (Goodreads, from jacket flap) 



Initial Thoughts: Everyone who reads YA review blogs has heard of this one. In fact, a review almost feels redundant, but I read it so I'm going to review it. I went into it with pretty high expectations (from the reviews) and a picture in my head of what the heroine would be like (thanks to the amazing cover). Also- she longs to be normal, but she doesn't think she is. I think they would have been better off saying "human" in place of "normal." She assumes that she is human and then begins to question it.


Review: One quick comment: the cover doesn't really match the tone of the novel at all. I love the cover, it's beautiful and amazing, but I felt that Evie was more lighthearted than dark and serious. The funny thing is that a lighthearted cover might have turned me off of this one, so I guess I'm glad that the cover is what it is.

This book was fantastic! Evie was fresh, fun, and quirky. I loved reading about her, especially when it came to dealing with the paranormals. I love a dark, breeding heroine, but this was a nice change. She could be a bit cheesy, but it never got annoying. Her first scene with a vampire was amazing- it totally set the tone for the rest of the novel. Irreverent, fun, and a bit crazy. It read like a light, easy summer read, but there was a lot more meat on these bones.

Now, on to the boys! I loved Lend's name. He was such a realistic character. He didn't see her and immediately feel love, trust, connection. He was wary of her until she proved herself. There were some awkward moments, some tension (which Evie broke with her adorable craziness), but none of the crazy Fated kind of stuff. It felt more down to earth. Reth. Oh, Reth! I both love and hate you. Is he evil? Is he just doing it for love? What the heck is he up to?! I can't wait to see more of him! I loved that Evie was not at all conflicted. This isn't really a love triangle, she thinks Reth is a jerk. However, I can't help thinking that maybe she should give him a chance. This could just be my weakness for dark, broody, slightly evil characters talking, but I'm hoping he plays a prominent role in the next book (or two?).

The story was great. I was sure that I had the murderer figured out, but there were twists. I'm not saying that everything is a complete surprise, but you won't be bored with the plot. There are so many possibilities for the next book!


Quick Review: A suspenseful paranormal murder mystery that reads like a light summer read, thanks to the quirky and delightful narrator. If, for some reason, you haven't already put this on your wish list, do it now! One of my favorite books of the year.

P.S. Kiersten's blog is amazing! You should definitely swing by and give it a read. Her husband does guest posts and he is just as fun as she is.