Saturday, August 7, 2010

My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking (Review)
Posted by Michaela at 9:19 PM

My Blood Approves
Author: Amanda Hocking
(Amanda's blog)
Publisher: lulu.com
Pages: 444 (eBook)
Price: $13.80 (lulu.com), $15.49 (Amazon)
Rating: 3/5
Other books in the series: Fate (book two), Flutter (book three)
Synopsis: Alice has never met someone as strange as Jack before. She finds herself staying out late just to find out what it is about him that everyone finds so compelling.

When she meets his brother, Peter, he turns her world upside down. She can barely breathe at the sight of him, and even though he can't stand her, Alice wants to get close to him.

But Jack and Peter are vampires, and Alice is caught in a web of love and bloodlust.


Initial Reaction: When I read the synopsis, I though that it might just be another one of those dime-a-dozen vampire love stories (and it sort of was), but I liked the premise of a leading vampire who appears to just be her friend while there's another love interest, even though he's also a vampire, and his brother. The cover drew me in for sure.

Review: This is a good book for a quick read. There wasn't much of a plot, but I feel like the characters were good enough to keep my attention. I liked Jack's off-beat character and the way he reacted to the tension between Alice and Peter. Oh, Peter. I really liked his character, from the crazy anger problems to his unexplained absences. This kind of thinking will probably land me in an abusive relationship someday, but he was definitely my favorite part of the book.

The many grammar mistakes in this book drove me to extra murders, which I assume can be accredited to the fact that this book was self-published. The lack of a plot also dragged on my nerves quite a bit. I think that in the future I'll steer clear of self-published books so that I can finally beat Tiffany's high score on Just Dance instead of being tranquilized and kept in that rehabilitation center again. What a mess.

Anyway, I give this a 3 out of 5 campers saved, which is a pretty good quick read but not fantastic. I am pretty eager to see what happens in the next book. Hopefully a plot will develop.